Friday, April 17, 2009

We are married and we still date

I just came across a heading saying “we don’t date, we just marry” and believe me since the time I read it, I was trying to extract the real meaning out of it…My heart and brain had few contradictions as in my case I felt a more appropriate header would be “ we are married and we still date”.

I say this as I am all set to celebrate my Third marriage anniversary with my sweet and loving hubby, Varun, on 20th day of April. Three years, the time sounds so long but has really passed like a blink of an eye and all my friends there who are married for a longer period would second me on this.

As I sit here in front of my laptop, penning down my thoughts, I still feel those goose bumps which I had while preparing for the D-day. My whole house was occupied with friends and relatives and suggestions were pouring in from all sides. The excitement of getting married to the person whom I loved the most and at the same time a feeling of heaviness in the heart of leaving my mom, sis, grandparents and my home where I have lived all my memories of life; it was certainly a difficult moment.

Year one was a new experience as it came like a surprise. Though we had known each other for quite a long period of time, it made us realize how unknown we were of each other. The food he liked, the songs I loved, his favorite shirt, my best actor….Oh my God, the list was too long and it was fun to know each other…the complete year was exciting and enjoyable as Farhan’s “Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd.”

Year 2007, i.e. the second year brought many expectations with it. The concentration was now more on making a home out of a house. We thought more about our future and the ways to improve it. And we really made the old saying true “wife and husband are like the two wheels of vehicle, and coordination between them is must”…

The wheels moved together at a good pace and the time came when we stepped into the third year of our marriage…this year was a year of exchange of souls… (Not trying to sound like Paulo Coelho). The year actually brought a transformation in our lives…Our dialogues changed…he said my words and I said his…our likes and interests everything exchanged…sometimes we laughed on ourselves…but actually we reached a more mature stage…our quietness spoke and we understood each other better than ever.

Today as I write this journal, I feel a satisfaction in my heart and these words echo again and again “A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, and always with the same person." I would certainly love to fall in love again and again, for many years to come with my hubby…


My friends, discovering each other and your marriage every day is the only spark which keeps a marriage alive. I also believe that many of my married friends must be aware of this secret and would have similar experiences like mine. I invite you to share your thoughts and experiences about marriage with everybody through my blog.

PS- my unmarried or engaged friends can also speak their hearts as marriage is all about loving :)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Di its a nice article.
My impression is that, for happy and loving married life one needs to live with somebody who is not perfect. Because expectations for perfection makes life difficult.

So i am sure, I will marry a very imperfect Girl..ha ha ha

sushma said...

hema, nice one..and i do agree with u, specially "A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, and always with the same person"...

varun said...

{
....Mera Tujhse Hai Pehle Ka Naata Koi....Yoonhi Nahin Dil Lubhaata Koi....

Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na...Maane Tu
}

Having "words" felt than said..is genius in you..wife

shriya said...

had no idea marriage can be such a splendid journey...its so inspiriting to feel urs...so much feel lyk fallin in luv..
:P
hope this journey of urs continues to glorify with each new day n even more... :-)

Unknown said...

Ya Hema I agree with u totally. It was just a few days back that I asked as friend when she was getting married. She said, "let me find a rich man." Oops!! I thought. I gave her some free advice. "If u want to have a happily married life, find love not a rich man." Infact I think love will find u and ur life will be bliss.. Right na??

simila said...

Hema loved ur thoughts.....Our been an intercultural wedding had a difficult start with me been to juggle between work and adjusting to inlaws...but at the end i do strongly believe that let no body support you...but if and only if u get ur husband's love and support u can sail throught ur most difficult times with ease...which was the same thing that happened to me.Today iam the most accepted daughter-in-law and most loved one in the household all thanks to my hubby...thus for a successful marriage u got to have love/respect/and the power to listen to each other...