Monday, August 15, 2011

Independence Day; a day for few or for all


15th August was one of the most awaited days of my childhood. In schools, Independence Day celebration practices used to be at full gear right from the beginning of the month and the entire week was observed as IndependenceDay week. Sports, dance, music, elocutions and competitions used to be in fullswing and there seemed to be always a buzz in every part of school building.

Years went on passing and the same trend was followed. It was indeed a day of celebration, winning and tasty laddoos for me until the year I met Sheetal.

I saw her for the first time while returning from my school after celebrating 15th August. She was standing at the rickshaw stand and was looking at other children. Dressed in rugs, this dark complexioned girl was holding a little baby in her hands and was asking for food. I and my friends gave her all the laddoos we had and she happily packed them in a plastic baglying on the road.

Seeing this, I asked her “Why are you not eating them when you are so hungry?” The poor girl looked at me and said “Didi, I have my friends waiting for me at the traffic signal, I will eat with them only”.

One of my friends asked in curiosity “Why they are at the traffic signal? Where is your home”.

Sadness shadowed Sheetal’s face and said “didi, road is ourhome and all my friends are orphans like me”.

“Then how do you earn a living and don’t you go to any school and celebrate Independence Day?” asked my sister who was in Grade 3 that time.

Sheetal looked puzzled and moved on without saying anything.Probably, she did not have any answer, but by then I was aware of what freedom truly means.

We call ourseles a free country, but we are not free. We are still slaves of powert, illiteracy and corruption.

It is true that we are free of the British who ruled us years back. The freedom fighters had fought and earned this independence forus. But, there are lot many other things, we need to be free of. Realisation of true independence will not come only by hoisting the flag and eating sweets. It will only be achieved when each one of us take a step in eradicating the true enemies of our nation.

Let's not Independence Day be a day for those who can afford it; rather let it be a day for all.

Let’s hold hands and fight for our real independence…Jai Hind

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thats true Hema. I agree with you. A feeling of independence should come within our minds. Also, its importance should not be limited to just hosting flag and eating ladoos.