Monday, December 29, 2008

Happiness; a journey or destination?

A LOT has been written about happiness by many writers and authors. In my literary pursuits I too dwelled on hope, happiness and joy. But frankly, I realised all too soon that just by writing about these topics one need not necessarily be a happy person.

I considered myself a contended person but there was always a restless in my soul. There was always an urge to do something more, to achieve higher goals. In short, I was not happy with my present state of affairs.

It was in March 2008, when I moved to Bangalore with my family. I decided not to work as I thought maybe I would find happiness at home. But this did not happen. One day I decided to venture out – alone, all by my self. I took different route and started walking rather aimlessly. Just then I spotted a group of youngsters. They stopped and wished me good evening. It was evident that they belonged to low income families, but the confidence and smile on their faces made me think for a while.

I followed them. They entered building which had banner reading, UNNATI “towards serenity, promoting society”.
By this time I was very curious. Wanting to know more I walked into the building. A thin, tall lady wearing a beautiful smile welcomed me inside the office and told me in detail about Unnati.
It is an NGO started to provide vocational training to youth living below poverty line (BPL) and over the age of 18. BPO, security, tailoring, retail sales are some of the vocations offered here along with regular workshops on life-skills and spoken and written English.
Initially, I thought it was one of the many NGOs operational in Bangalore. But after a while I offered my services promising to come back again.

My decision seemed so right. During the next few days I found many highly qualified volunteers. They gave expert lectures and training to the students and all free of cost.

It was a happy day for me when I was asked to take a class. I was overwhelmed by the respect I got from the students. I was not only looked up to but I also got a feeling of being wanted. I experienced true happiness in that one hour I taught them.

Such dedication, and commitments, the kind I had never witnessed before. Their backgrounds were true stories of grit and determination, which could move anyone to tears. A wife and mother of three kids had come to Unnati because she wished to give a better future to her children.

There was this farmer’s son who had not got educated because the family of seven siblings was too poor to provide him the facility. Unnati meant hope for the likes of these.

Each day I returned home with a heavy heart. While their life stories moved me I also was guilty of not appreciating what my parents had done and how rich I was in comparison to many. But Unnati had opened up my inner self. I knew the real purpose of my life- service to mankind. Has it not been said ‘better late than never’.

It has been five months since I walked into Unnati for the first time. I can today call myself a truly happy person.
I strongly believe in what John Templeton has said “Happiness comes from spiritual wealth, not material wealth... Happiness comes from giving, not getting. If we try hard to bring happiness to others, we cannot stop it from coming to us also. To get joy, we must give it, and to keep joy, we must scatter it”.

6 comments:

hena said...

Real happiness comes from giving...well written and very touching.

Anonymous said...

In this fast paced life, we keep looking for materialistic joys... if everybody could understand the real happiness, world will become a beautiful place.

Unknown said...

Very nice composition Hema...well written and very touching!!

Tara said...

Kudos.. well done. keep it up and keep going. Hope to read many more of your reflections.
Thara

Unknown said...

Sehr gut (very good)..

Unknown said...

Sehr Gut geschrieben (very well written)